kernel-2.6.9 - "All of your loopback devices are in use"

Michael Firkins michael at home.lyppard.com.au
Sat Dec 4 21:11:16 CST 2004

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 18:48:28 +0200, Idan Plotnik wrote
> Hi All,
>
> I'm using RedHat 9 with kernel-2.4 and I want to upgrade to
> kernel-2.6.9 so i worked around these steps:
>
> 1. I downloaded the file kernel-2.6.9-1.667.src.rpm
> 2. rpm -i -vv kernel-2.6.9-1.667.src.rpm
>
> 3. rpmbuild -bp -vv --target=i686 /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/kernel-
> 2.6.spec
> 4. cd /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-2.6.9/linux-2.6.9
> 5. make mrproper
>
> 6. make xconfig
> 7. make modules
> 8. make modules_install install
> 9. make bzImage,after that the kernel should be installed.
>
> After finish phase 8 I'm getting this error message:
>
> All of your loopback devices are in use
> mkinitrd failed
> make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
> make: *** [install] Error 2
>
> I tried everything ... I google it iand I follow every link
> and nothing!

Did you see this one:

http://www.spinics.net/lists/rh-devel/msg01717.html

"
> "All of your loopback devices are in use"
>  and I think the real problem could be that the loop.o was not loaded

That is most likely probably it.  I have seen this, but never spent the
time to patch mkinitrd to check and see if loop.o is loaded and bomb
out immediately, or load it if its not loaded."

So, sounds like all you have to do is 'modprobe loop' and try again.

To check if loop is loaded, type lsmod in the terminal and look in the
output for it.

Michael

--
Open WebMail (http://openwebmail.org)on Debian (http://www.debian.org)