Samba PDC

Michael Haarsma mhaarsma at adel.tafe.sa.edu.au
Mon May 26 10:32:41 CST 2003

George,

Not Nonsense.

I am not a lecturer. I am support. I don't have the book with answers in
it. I personally learn through trial and error and advice from more
knowledgeable people, which I then try for myself.

The steps I take when faced with a problem are as follows:

1. Bash around and try things.
2. Try some more
3. Read the MAN page
4. Try some more
5. Go to Google and search on the error message, what I'm trying to do
6. Try some more
7. Ask someone I know has a better idea than me. (in this case the
lecturer)
8. Try some more
9. Post on a forum
10. Try some more
11. Find an alternative
12. return to step 1.

The most importants steps in this list are the ones labled "Try some
more"

The majority of the students do not try for themselves, those students
that I know, who do try for themselves and research by themselves are
the ones who appear to know the most and seem to gain the best grades.

Hopefully my point makes a little more sense knowing I am not a
lecturer..

Cheers,

Michael