Learning PHP...

Richard Russell richard at yellowgoanna.com
Fri May 23 19:41:46 CST 2003

> Wow! Would you like that gift wrapped?

Yes please. Could you also call my Mum and tell her I'll be late for
dinner? ;)

> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm trying to learn some PHP (and the HTML I don't know).
> I've got the
> > real basic stuff sorted, but would like either some decent
> tutorials
> > on specific things, or some eg code with specific things in it...
> >
> > Specifically, the specific things I'm talking about are :
> >
> > * Text Processing (I'm not real familiar with Perl either, so that
> > won't
> > help)
>
> What do you want to do?

I explain that below... Sort of.

> > * Creating a selectable and browseable list so checkboxes can be
> > passed back to PHP...
>
> Once you've got the output loops mastered adding drop down
> and other lists is easy. Start with a simple script that
> prints out the contents of a database table or something like
> that. Tutorials abound on the net. Then to format that data
> into a table or list or menu just requires the insertion of
> the appropriate HTML

I'm actually talking about forms here. I'm not real familiar with HTML
beyond the basics, so forgive me for being vague... :)

> > * Interacting with external commands (specifically, amrecover -- I
> > need to be able to communicate with stdin/stdout)
>
> I'm sure that's in the php manual

True... I eventually found proc_open, which will start a process, and
give me stdin and stdout to play with.

> > The first is simple stuff like how do I get text that looks
> like this:
> >
> > ---
> > 2003-05-20 .
> > 2003-05-20 bin/
> > 2003-05-20 boot/
> > 2003-05-20 dev/
> > 2003-05-20 etc/
> > ---
>
> You need an output loop. That'll do for a start...

Thanks :)

rr

--
Richard Russell