NVidia driver pain

Barney Wrightson barney.wrightson at dsto.defence.gov.au
Tue May 20 10:13:11 CST 2003

David Creed wrote:

> Hi list, I'm just trying to install Nvidia drivers on Debian/Knoppix Unstable
> and coming up against problems.
> kernel is standard Debian
> root at ferret:/usr/src# uname -r
> 2.4.20-1-k7
>
> I tried to install Nvidia drivers version NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4349.run
> and found I needed to install source code for 2.4.20, did this, unzipped and
> untarred it, pointed /usr/src/linux at kernel-source-2.4.20 and re ran the
> Nvidia installer.
> Next problem was a message saying /usr/src/linux/include/linux/modversions.h
> didn't exist, I had a look and there was a modsetver.h, so I did
> ln -s modsetver.h modversions.h
> that seemed to satisfy things until on my next attempt to install I got errors
> about different versions of compilers used to compile my kernel and being
> used to compile the Nvidia driver and that I should investigate
> IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH, so my next move was to
> export IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=yes
> Now it get's beyond my level of skills and exits with (to me anyway) obsure
> messages about "conflicting types for `kernel_thread'" which means nothing to
> me.
> I'm hoping someone can help me with this, as it's bloody frustrating.
> I've attached the /var/log/nvidia-installer.log file for referance.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> David Creed

David,
	Having gone through this process myself (using vanilla debian
unstable), I think I can get you though it :) The fixes to your problems
are these:

1. You need the setup that was used to build your current kernel, so
what you need to do is "apt-get install kernel-headers-2.4.20-1-k7"
which will have the config and modversions.h that were used to build
your current kernel. You don't even need the full source once you do
this. I think it sticks it in /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.4.20-1-k7 or
something like that.

2. To fix the CC mismatch you'll need to set the version of CC to the
same one the kernel used, which I would guess is 2.95, while the default
installed version is probably 3.2. To do this, before building do
"export CC=/usr/bin/gcc-2.95" make sure that /usr/bin/gcc-2.95 exists -
I might have the filename wrong, or it might need to be installed - but
you get the idea.

If you want to keep things debianised - It might pay to use the packaged
version of the drivers and follow the README.Debian files in
/usr/share/doc/<package_name> on how to build them "the debian way". It
is pretty straightforward once you get used to it.

HTH
Barney