[Solved] Re: Sound Blaster Live and 4 channel output

Damien Uern carrigan_2606 at optusnet.com.au
Sat May 17 22:45:17 CST 2003

OK FINALLY! I have 4 channels working properly in the various DVD players, I
will detail steps here:

The device required for ALSA as mentioned below is surround40 for 4 speaker
surround sound, surround51 for 5.1 speaker... To get sound on the rear
speakers, using an alsamixer (such as alsamixergui or just alsamixer),
increase the volume of the "Surround Digital" controls. (If you still don't
get sound on the rear speakers while playing a DVD, all I can suggest is
playing with the other controls via trial and error. That's what I did, and
the "Surround Digital" controls seemed to do the trick).

To enable 4 speaker support with mplayer, simply pass

-ao alsa9:surround40

on the command line to mplayer.

Ogle 0.9.1 now supports multi channel output also, edit your oglerc file (in
/etc/oglerc or /usr/share/ogle/oglerc) so that the driver/speaker
configuration parts look like this:

  <audio>
    <device>
      <driver>alsa</driver>
      <path>/dev/dsp</path>
      <alsa>
        <name>surround40</name>
      </alsa>
    </device>
    <speakers>
      <channel_config>
        <chtype>Left</chtype>
        <chtype>Right</chtype>
        <chtype>RearLeft</chtype>
        <chtype>RearRight</chtype>
      </channel_config>
    </speakers>

xine is already setup for this and worked out of the box (for me anyway).

Cheers,

Damien