Who is SCO Owned by?

Alan Kennington ak.linuxsa at topology.org
Sat May 17 04:42:05 CST 2003

On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 11:00:18AM -0700, James Leone wrote:

> Having a look at their recent financials shows SCO being owned by...the
> Canopy Group.
>
> http://www.canopy.com/portfolio/index.htm
>
> But who owns the canopy group....?  The web site doesn't say AFAIK.

James,

Somewhere I read that MS sometimes forms companies simply for
the purpose of purchasing other companies cheaply.
The idea is that if a company knew that MS was trying to buy them,
they would ask for more money. So buying anonymously keeps
prices down. It's entirely credible that MS would have done that
in this case and then continued to keep it quiet after the purchase,
for obvious reasons.
It's a bit like a rich westerner in a poor country sending a local
person to haggle for something to get the cheapest price.

Since MS is purportedly in the habit of setting up companies for
the purposes of anonymous purchase, it's a small step to then
use this trick to anonymously attack linux.
Of course, this is all theorizing on my part.

Cheers,
Alan Kennington.