Ricoh and Gestetner Outgoing Faxes

James Leone linuxcpa at netscape.net
Tue May 13 01:06:25 CST 2003

Can Etheral send captured packets? See below***

Daryl.Tester at iocane.com.au wrote:

>James Leone wrote:
>

>>I think getting outgoing faxes to work is going to be difficult.
>>

>James, James, James, James, James ... Yea of little faith.

:-D

>>Anyway, the job goes to the Multifunctional on port 9100, which is, I
>>think, a standard port number for printing.
>>

>It's used by HP Laserjets, and is basically a "connect to port 9100, dump
>data and close" protocol (I'm sure with associated pat. pending).  It's
>been a while since I've played with it, but I don't remember it being a
>particularly bidirectional protocol.
>

>>Any ideas, or is this impossible to do? The sniffs are below:
>>

>Some of the formatting hasn't come out because of the binary nature
>of the data you're trying to print, so I've had to guess at a couple
>of characters.
>

>>* Blank *
>>
>>%-12345X at PJL PCFAXJOB
>>@PJL SET USERCODE=""
>>@PJL SET USERID="?"
>>@PJL SET HOSTNAME="JAMES"
>>@PJL SET HOSTLOGINNAME="Administrator"
>>@PJL SET DATE="2003/05/11"
>>@PJL SET TIME="19:25:56"
>>@PJL ENTER LANGUAGE=RFAX
>>

>This looks like a PJL ripoff, which is HP's Printer Job Language.  While
>HP no longer give out PJL documentation, there are still a few references
>floating around on the web (e.g. <http://www.cs.ust.hk/~csandrew/pjl.htm>)
>I used to have a PDF file that described it and PCL in fair detail, but I
>can't seem to locate it with a cursory search.
>
>Anyway, I say "PJL ripoff" because I've not seen an "ENTER LANGUAGE=RFAX"
>before, and a Google for the term didn't find anything either.  However!!!
>Given that so far the company hasn't displayed too much "innovation" to
>date, there's a good chance that it's only sending some other well known
>format, such as TIFF or G3 fax.  Any chance of a (raw) binary or hex dump
>of the data following the RFAX command?

I think you are asking if the area that was snipped out was the print
document. Yes.

I will try to look for a Linux "G3 fax" front end that allows me to
specify a phone number, etc. ***I want to just send the Windows Ethereal
sniff over the same port etc. from Linux instead of Windows, so I will
have a working "concept" to develop upon.  I think that if I were able
to merely send the Windows dump over the network to the multifunctional
in Linux, it probably would send a fax from Linux, without Cups or a
working print driver. ***

Netcat is a mystery to me, it should do the job, but the documentation,
to me, does not make clear how the commnd really works.  Some of the
documentation out there shows commands that appear to now be obsolete,
or that are not in use with the version of Netcat on my machine. I have
sent netcat commands only to have it just sit there and do nothing, then
give me an annoying "punt!" message when I hit control-c.

The next trick will be to "make a print driver" or "find one already
made". I have no idea where to start, except to look for the "G3 fax"
drver, assuming that it will allow me to include a phone number, etc to
send the fax to. Any ideas as to where I might look.

Thank you to DT and Karl for helping out with advice and documentation. :-)

>>PCFAX Adonis-C2@FAXJAMES
>>Administrator
>>2003/05/1119:25:29 >
>>14082794101
>>

>I take it this is the fax number embedded within the document?  Or wasn't
>there a fax number at all?

Yes, that was the test fax number. :-)

James Leone