Servers - Rent

Joseph Burford joseph at vintek.net
Mon May 12 17:29:42 CST 2003

Ryan,

>We'd like to either cheaply (<$1500) build a 1RU server,

Keep in mind that anywhere up to a third of this could go on a rackmount
case alone, so it's not exactly leaving you heaps for the system itself.

>can't find 1RU cases for building my own systems (and I'm wondering
exactly
>how expansion cards would fit in a 1RU case), or anywhere in Adelaide
that'd

Expansion cards would have to be the PCI half height standard. NIC's are
pretty easy to come by, sometimes other peripherals like video / sound
cards can be a pain, depends how fussy you are.

And if you are looking at namebrand servers, $1500 isn't going to go far
:-)

Regards,
Joseph

VINTEK CONSULTING PTY LTD