Inconsistent DNS availability

Richard Russell richard at yellowgoanna.com
Wed May 7 14:16:50 CST 2003

John Edwards writes:

> Hi Richard,
>
> Are you blocking port 53 TCP on a firewall, while allow port 53 UDP in?

Nope...
 ----
7348  510K ACCEPT     udp  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere
udp dpt:domain
   7   368 ACCEPT     tcp  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere
tcp dpt:domain
 ----

> Directly querying for what you want generates a 499 byte reply because the
> adelaide.edu.au name servers have enough NS records to survive several
> simultaneous apocalypses, whereas querying the caching nameservers of Adam
> will only net you a condensed 110 bytes. 499 bytes is not enough to
> require TCP in the DNS response, but it might give you a hint as to where
> to look.

Hmm... Umm... Nope...

> Do you have any interfaces or aliases on your system that might have an IP
> address that is part of the university network?

I have a 192.168 which is not snat'd, only http proxied, though there is a
dns server there somewhere (I'd just have to find it)

> To get around your problem quickly, does it work if you simply put Adam's
> DNS servers in /etc/resolv.conf, remove 127.0.0.1, and restart the mail
> queue?

Indeed it did... though it was remarkably slow in doing so...

Cheers for that -- though it doesnt' tell me why it happnenned in the first
place... :S ... :)

rr

--
Richard Russell