NetGear MA401 and MA301

Ryan Verner xfesty at computeraddictions.com.au
Tue May 6 16:09:18 CST 2003

On Tuesday, May 6, 2003, at 03:39 PM, Matthew Geddes wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm having problem with my MA401 and MA301 NetGear cards under Linux.
> In
> both cases, I'm running Debian 3.0 release with a 2.4.20 kernel (that's
> been slightly patched). Neither card seem to work with any of the
> modules that the documentation claim they should.
>
> The driver from the netgear site locks my machine, as does the stuff
> from linux-wlan.org (which is where the netgear stuff is derived
> anyway). :-(

The netgear drivers have always sucked.  The MA301 cards use either
tulip or natsemi, off memory, and some other strange chipset too that I
don't usually compile as a module.

P*sses me off when companies change chipset but keep the product the
same - guy I work with bought 6 DWL-520's (wireless cards that can be
used as access points) off ebay, thinking they were the same as the
other DWL-520's we had, but alas, they use a completely different
chipset.

And no, they wernt DWL-520+'s.  Exactly the same bloody product name,
and the boxes for each card are almost identical, except one's white
instead of blue.

> The funny thing is (well, Greg might disagree :-)) that both work very
> nicely using the wi driver in the FreeBSD 5.0 kernel running on the
> same
> hardware.

I've always seemed to have more access with networking devices under
FreeBSD then with Linux - if you haven't got a standard(ish) card,
wierd things tend to happen, whereas FreeBSD tends to behave itself.
Better written drivers?

> Has anyone out there solved a similar problem or have any suggestions
> for getting this stuff working under Linux?
>
> Matt
>
> --
> LinuxSA WWW: http://www.linuxsa.org.au/ IRC: #linuxsa on
> irc.freenode.net

- -- -
Ryan Verner <xfesty at computeraddictions.com.au>
PGP: 5819 DE5D B5AE 9381 7E60  5B4C 45CC 64DF D3CC EB07

ICQ: 76626240                   IRC: xf / irc.oublinet.net
PH: +61 418 186 604             EQ: Mummer (Bard), Tholuxe

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of
people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.