Democrats introduce legislation to support Open Source Software

Mike Gratton mike at vee.net
Mon May 5 11:21:02 CST 2003

Richard Sharpe wrote:

> Unfortunately, if the wording is incorrect, and it ends up achieving the
> wrong thing, you have not really achieved anything.
>
> To do the most public good in this area, I think that governments must
> insist on open standards, not simply mandate open source software.

I can see what you mean, but we still need to be talking to the
government, encouraging them to adopt open standards. A show of public
opinion really is required to counteract the lobbying, advertising and
FUD that companies like Microsoft will be directing at the Government,
especially now that a Bill like this one has appeared.

/mike

--
Mike Gratton <jabber:mjg at jabber.vee.net> <http://web.vee.net/>