Democrats introduce legislation to support Open Source Software

Barney Wrightson barney.wrightson at dsto.defence.gov.au
Fri May 2 12:06:42 CST 2003

Mike Gratton wrote:

> Instead of bitching about the wording and complaining that one of the
> major parties is not introducing it, how about we all get behind it and
> show some support, so it has a chance of passing?
>
> </rant>
>
> /mike

The problem with the wording is a big one IMO. There shouldn't be
legislation to mandate the use of Open Source over proprietary software.
This is too restrictive and would never be acceptable to a majority. The
mandate should be to avoid lock-in software, ie. open *Standards* should
always be used - Then it matters a less whether the source is open or
not, because you can always change vendors if required.

Barney