Virtual Servers - Linux on Linux

Quintin Lette quintin at arach.net.au
Fri May 2 10:05:51 CST 2003

How about vserver?

basically it uses the same kernel, and effectively runs a new operating system running as a server.  Think user-mode-linux without a new kernel. There is no emulation at all, and as you are using the same kernel, in kernel space, there isn't the performance hit uml gets from running a kernel in userland.

<snipped from http://freshmeat.net/projects/vserver/ >

About:
VServer virtual servers operate like a normal Linux server, but allow many independent servers to be run simultaneously in one box. These can involve normal services such as telnet, mail, Web, and SQL servers - in most cases using a standard configuration. The services are unaware of the virtual server concept. Each virtual server has its own user account database and root password. Each vserver uses standard packages and runs at the same speed as a non-VServer installation.

</server>