Virtual Servers - Linux on Linux

Damian Murphy damo at internode.on.net
Fri May 2 09:52:57 CST 2003

Ryan,

There is an excellent article in "Linux Magazine" (February 2003) about
VServer: Virtual Server Contexts in Practical Applications. This explains
how to setup what you describe (ie, not emulation).

There's a link in the article to this site:
http://www.solucorp.qc.ca/miscprj/s_context.hc
... that looks usful.

Cheers,
Damian.

> Hi,
>
> Wondering if anybody here knows anything about "virtual servers" -
> probably the wrong term to use, but I mean in the sense as having a
> virtual linux machine on top of linux (somewhat like running a linux
> machine inside vmware, but not emulated).
>
> "User Mode Linux" seems to ring a bell, but I've never played with it
> before.  Wondering if it's possible to install a linux distro inside a
> linux distro, have 3 or 4 "virtual" machines concurrently running, and
> how stable/fast/well it all runs.

Damian Murphy
damo at internode.on.net