Postfix Tar backup errors

Daryl Tester Daryl.Tester at iocane.com.au
Sun Mar 2 13:05:21 CST 2003

Steve Sloan wrote:

> tar: /var/spool/postfix/public/cleanup: socket ignored
> tar: /var/spool/postfix/public/flush: socket ignored
> tar: /var/spool/postfix/public/showq: socket ignored

> My question is, are these "real" directories or not and can I safely
> ignore them for backup purposes.

That's two questions.  :-)

1)  They're actually special files - these ones are sockets that
    actually live on the file system (as opposed to sockets that
    live in the networking namespace).  Another type of special
    file is a pipe.

2)  Yes, it's safe to ignore them.  Typically they're regenerated
    by the application that created them in the first place (in
    this case, most likely Postfix).

Regards,
  Daryl Tester
  IOCANE Pty. Ltd.