Mounting rw samba shares

Jordan Noblet jordan at binarylogic.com.au
Wed Jul 24 13:56:46 CST 2002

What is the best way to mount a samba share on a linux workstation with
read/write access for normal users?

user cannot mount, so logged in as root I run:

   smbmount -t smbfs //server/share /mountpoint -o
username=user,password=pass

which works fine, but "other" group is only given read access to /mountpoint
and everything beneath it.  chmod/chown on the mountpoint before it is
mounted has no effect (the permissions change when the share is mounted)  If
I try to set permissions after mounting it doesn't seem to do anything.

If I mount the samba share from a windows machine, read/write works fine
because I'm logged in as user when I map the share to a drive letter.  My
samba config: (names altered to protect the innocent)

[share]
comment = blah
path = /sharepath
valid users = user
public = yes
writable = yes
printable = no
read only = no
create mode = 0777
directory mode = 0777

I'm sure I'm missing something horribly, horribly simple.

Jordan Noblet
Service Engineer - Binary Logic / BoldWeb
jordan at binarylogic.com.au

ps:  I know, html, exchange, what ya gonna do?