X won't start

Michael Davies michaeld at senet.com.au
Tue Jul 23 21:46:11 CST 2002

On Tue, 2002-07-23 at 20:50, Daryl Tester wrote:
> Michael Davies wrote:
>
> > When MySQL
> > goes belly up (a bug in my application when MySQL is in a transaction
> > means that) it corrupts the database and leaves the socket fd lying
> > around.  As a user I shouldn't have to manually remove forgotten
> > sockets, but if I do, it's much easier in /tmp that /usr/lib/mysql.
>
> But is it your responsibilty to be removing that socket on startup,
> or MySQL's start script?  And I don't know if MySQL is setuid,
> but wouldn't you have to be the MySQL user (or root) to start MySQL
> anyway?

Well, RH's MySQL script ain't grand, and it leaves sockets around which
sometimes don't get cleaned up.

The way around the restarting permissions problem is shonky.

<shonky security hole>
sudo /etc/rd.d/init.d/mysqld restart
</shonky>

But adding 'rm' to the /etc/sudoers just ain't gonna happen, I could fix
the init script, but that makes root queasy when I want to touch init
scripts :)

--
Michael Davies                     "Do what you think is interesting, do
michaeld at senet.com.au               something that you think is fun and

--
LinuxSA WWW: http://www.linuxsa.org.au/  IRC: #linuxsa on irc.linux.org.au