X won't start

Daryl Tester Daryl.Tester at iocane.com.au
Tue Jul 23 20:54:40 CST 2002

Michael Davies wrote:

> When MySQL
> goes belly up (a bug in my application when MySQL is in a transaction
> means that) it corrupts the database and leaves the socket fd lying
> around.  As a user I shouldn't have to manually remove forgotten
> sockets, but if I do, it's much easier in /tmp that /usr/lib/mysql.

But is it your responsibilty to be removing that socket on startup,
or MySQL's start script?  And I don't know if MySQL is setuid,
but wouldn't you have to be the MySQL user (or root) to start MySQL
anyway?

--
Regards,
  Daryl Tester,  Software Wrangler and Bit Herder, IOCANE Pty. Ltd.

"So Lord I see you grinnin', must be grand always winning,
 How proud are you being able, to gather faith from fable?"
 --  God Am, Alice In Chains (R.I.P. Layne Staley).

--
LinuxSA WWW: http://www.linuxsa.org.au/  IRC: #linuxsa on irc.linux.org.au