Fw: free Blender fund

Peter Gossner gossner at arcom.com.au
Mon Jul 22 04:55:11 CST 2002

On Sat, 20 Jul 2002 23:44:04 -0700
James Leone <jleone at pacbell.net> wrote:

> Looks like this could be a very strong use of the open source
> community's resources, especially the ones that don't know how to
> code. LIKE ME. :-)

Yeah I should think they will raise the money no worries.

Blender is very cool and will make an EXCELLENT addition to the stable.
I should think that once it goes GPL it will move forwatd very quickly.
(money or no money)

> Anyway, here's my same-old same-old -> the same could be done to pump
> some $ into other open source projects, to reward the current
> volunteers and recruit future talent. The funds could then be used to
> increase the number of and speed of open source/free software
> development and at the same time, keep them GPL.

While I see your point I must admit to having mixed feelings about the
money thing. The process revolves around a "Gift Culture". (which is not
to say you can eat an email). Real (evil, smelly) money may disrupt the
very phenonomen that keeps the whole thing roaring along.

(==2C)

--
<gossner at arcom.com.au>
<http://arcom.com.au/~gossner/>