Mutt vunerability - .ELF...uX[]U].].U4

Nick Morrison nickm at internode.com.au
Tue Jan 8 15:46:37 CST 2002

By Dale Long, on Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 02:36:32PM +1030:
> On Tue, 8 Jan 2002, Nick Morrison wrote:
> > Yeep!  This sounds like an outlook virus..
> >
> > http://www.mutt.org/announce/mutt-1.2.5.1-1.3.25.html
> >
> > It's a remote exploit - there are buffer overflow bugs in the header
> > handling code.
>
> Linux/BSD and other open source as insecure as MS Products?!?!
>
> I don't believe you. :-)

Ah, but it's only *really* dangerous if you run mutt as root and get
rogered.

In windows, you're usually root, so it's usually fatally bad.

So, no, not quite as insecure :)

Oh, and your code sent itself to everyone in my address book.

Nick :)

--
Nick Morrison <nickm at internode.com.au>
Internode Professional Access