[OT] raw-disks && cooked-disks ?

Wilkinson,Alex Alex.Wilkinson at dsto.defence.gov.au
Thu Feb 21 14:00:31 CST 2002

Howdy all,

I am constantly faced with making new filesystems on Irix, Solaris, FreeBSD etc

What I don't know and find confusing is the difference between mkfs on either a
raw disk or a cooked disk.

Some OSs rather we do a: mkfs /dev/rdsk/dks0d2s7 [Irix] but others need
mkfs to work on the cooked disk.

My question: why ?

Why does mkfs only work /dev/rdsk/... on IRIX but on others it can
work with /dev/dsk/...?

I know that raw disks are character devices and cooked disks are block
devices and that by running mkfs on a disk we are creating the
a fs with a specfic block size and layout etc...

But I would have thought you could only create a fs on a character disk ?

Actually can anyone me give a brief sunnary on raw disks and cooked disk ?

 Thanks

  - Alex

--
LinuxSA WWW: http://www.linuxsa.org.au/  IRC: #linuxsa on irc.linux.org.au