[NEWS] 'Linux is too much like Windows'

davidn at rebel.net.au davidn at rebel.net.au
Tue Dec 31 22:19:48 CST 2002

Adam Smith <adam.smith at sageautomation.com> wrote:
> INSTALL DIRECTORY
>
> Windows 98   - C:\WINDOWS
> Windows NT   - C:\WINNT
> Windows 2000 - C:\WINNT
> Windows XP   - C:\WINDOWS

You get to choose when you install.  My first Win2000 was installed in
Windows (but I later re-installed it to WinNT because it looks nicer.)

> HOME DIRECTORY
>
> Windows 98	 - C:\WINDOWS *or* C:\WINDOWS\Profiles\login name
> Windows NT	 - C:\WINNT\PROFILES\%username%
> Windows 2000 - C:\Documents and Settings\%username%
> Windows XP	 - C:\Documents and Settings\%username%
> Red Hat	 - /home, /usr/home
> FreeBSD	 - /home [symlink], /usr/home
> Debian	 - /home

It's somewhat up to each site, just as the location of the OS directory
is with Windows, but I have to point out that since unix standards of
the past and present include /usr, /home and /usr/home, there's little
"moral" difference between unix and Windows

> TEMP DIRECTORY
>
> Windows 98	 - C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
> Windows NT	 - <not sure, possibly
> C:\WINNT\Profiles\%username%\Local Settings\Temp
> Windows 2000 - C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Temp
> Windows XP	 - C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local
> Settings\Temp
> RedHat	 - /tmp
> FreeBSD	 - /tmp
> Debian	 - /tmp

You forgot /usr/tmp, /var/tmp, $HOME/.kde/tmp-`hostname` and a host of
others.