[NEWS] 'Linux is too much like Windows'

Dan Shearer dan at tellurian.com.au
Tue Dec 31 17:53:39 CST 2002

On Tue, 31 Dec 2002, Mcleod, Ian wrote:

> hey don't get me wrong - we all know MS just take existing protocols and
> bloat them - like the X protocol and Terminal Server - it's no secret.
>
> But for better or worse - MS do standardise things - just in their own way.

Take mail-based free/busy scheduling as implemented by Microsoft in
Outlook. There are several incompatibilities between versions that mean
that a lot of companies are not able to use the facility at all. The
recommended fix? Install a Microsoft exchange server and upgrade all
clients.

Ask an expert Microsoft Office user about compatibility between systems,
even when everything looks like the same version. I'm talking about
someone who doesn't know anything other than Microsoft. I'm confident
they'll give a long list to demonstrate that what you describe is not the
case in the MS Office area.

Dan