[NEWS] 'Linux is too much like Windows'

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Tue Dec 31 17:41:03 CST 2002

[rearranged]

On Tuesday, 31 December 2002 at 16:50:05 +1100, Ian Mcleod wrote:
> On  Tuesday, December 31, 2002 4:12 PM, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 31 December 2002 at 15:15:46 +1100, Ian Mcleod wrote:
>>
>> What makes me curse is the fact that doing just about anything is so
>> painful.  Just replying to a mail message is thwarted by the lack of a
>> real editor.  How do I reformat paragraphs?  How do I remove the
>> blanks in the "> >" of doubly quoted text?  How do I turn upside-down
>> messages the right way again?  How do I convert the text \"Mcleod,
>> Ian\" to Ian Mcleod?  Like other people forced to use Microsoft, I
>> give up and send out a messy message, but it goes strongly against the
>> grain.
>>
>>> I have trimmed my email message so Mutt doesn't crash
>>
>> No, mutt doesn't crash.  The point I was making was that careful
>> trimming is difficult in a toy environment.
>>
>>> I hope that's okay..
>>
>> By throwing the baby out with the bath water, you've rather proved my
>> point.
>
> hey I completely agree
>
> But the Windows user interface is vastly more easy to use and
> unified across Windows platforms.

That's where we will have to disagree.

> BTW - is this email messed up?  I tried to turn off all the
> 'enhancements' that Outlook forces one to use against their will..

Well, your text was completely separate from what you were replying
to, so I'm not sure what you're referring to.  And it's missing an
properly.  And it doesn't contain answers to a number of questions.
But it doesn't have mutilated formatting this time.  That's a matter
of luck, though: I don't know of any easy way to ensure that Outlook
doesn't mutilate text.

Greg
--
When replying to this message, please take care not to mutilate the
original text.