[NEWS] 'Linux is too much like Windows'

James Leone LINUXCPA at netscape.net
Tue Dec 31 17:16:30 CST 2002

adam.smith at sageautomation.com wrote:

>Ian,
>

>>People choose Windows because the available (commercial)
>>support is much
>>more mature and the platform is unified.
>>
>>Unix people can't even agree on standard email formats let
>>alone a standard architecture - it's the great undoing of
>>Linux and Window's strength.
>>

>And since when could Windows do these things?

My point is this...in Windows, you generally do not have a separation
between the application and its configuration, or if you do, it is
intermingled with other configurations. I agree that this is inferior
architecture, and yes a weakness.

However, you don't need to know or understand any of the below to use
Windows and it shouldn't be that way for Linux.

This is a *much _stronger weakness_* its a weakness that keeps Linux off
95% of the desktops. Windows' weakness will not be exploited untill the
stronger weakness is solved in Linux.

Linux has to be just as easy to use, or it will go on unused, which, to
me is a tragedy.

Linux is educational, but at the same time, very difficult to accomplish
things *for a beginner* because it requires that you understand a lot of
the things listed below, and it shouldn't have to be that way. As a
result, it takes an unjustifiable amount of time or money to learn it.

James Leone

http://shopnow.netscape.com/