[NEWS] 'Linux is too much like Windows'

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Mon Dec 30 13:36:56 CST 2002

[rearranging]

On Monday, 30 December 2002 at 12:37:52 +1100, Ian Mcleod wrote:
> On  Sunday, December 29, 2002 12:42 PM, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>> On Sunday, 29 December 2002 at 12:34:44 +1030, Ian Loxton wrote:
>>> Just found this item. What do you think?
>>>
>>> -------------------------------->>
>>> Http://www.insanely-great.com/news.php?id=1431
>>>
>>> Rant: 'Linux is too much like Windows'
>>> By ron carlson, Insanely Great Mac
>>> December 22nd 2002
>>>
>>>  Once every other blue moon Dvorak says something intelligent
>>>
>>>  In a column titled "Microsoft, Innovation, and Linux", John
>>>  Dvorak opines that "Linux is too much like Windows." That
>>>  this is true is obvious and it's a matter of some wonder
>>>  that no one -- at least no one notable -- has publicly noted
>>>  this before.
>>> <<------------------------
>>>
>>> I think he and Dvorak have got it wrong but that is just my POV, what
>>> are your thoughts on the matter?
>>
>> I think they're right, for a certain definition of "Linux".  What does
>> the average user see?  The screen.  And the applications that people
>> use are looking more and more like Microsoft: Gnome and KDE imitate
>> the Microsoft screen layout, OpenOffice and AbiWord repeat the
>> mistakes Microsoft made with its user interface approach.
>>
>> These applications have their uses to attract people from the
>> Microsoft space.  But more and more Linux (and BSD) people are using
>> them, and that's not healthy.  You can't beat Microsoft at its own
>> game, but come with a different game and you might be able to.  The
>> real issue is, what would a desktop approach based on UNIX principles
>> look like?
>>
>> At the last AUUG conference, I asked Rob Pike (of the Plan 9 project)
>> what he thought of the free UNIX operating systems.  He said he was
>> disappointed how little innovation they had shown.
>
> who cares?  Microsoft ripped off Apple, Apple ripped off Xerox and the
> circle just goes around and around.  Just a whole bunch of people ripping
> off each others user interfaces because the previous group did not market or
> sell their ideas properly - either to a community (i.e. - open source) or
> commercially.

OK, I don't understand what you're referring to here.  Rob's quote?

> I think a decent interface on Linux that people without PhD's in
> computer science can actually operate is not an unhealthy thing.

My point exactly.

> The windows interface works, it's easy to understand - it's just
> good.

I think it's terrible.  If you're sitting in the next room, you can
tell by the cursing and swearing when I have to use that kind of
interface.  I'd suggest that you find it good because you don't know
anything better.  But it's obviously too difficult to trim mail
messages with the MUA you're using, right?  I've tried using various
Microsoft-based MUAs, and I can't find any that doesn't slow me down
by a factor of about 10.

> Linux can learn a lot from the user friendliness of Windows..

Well, yes, you can learn a lot from Microsoft, like how not to do
things.

Greg
--
Finger grog at lemis.com for PGP public key