[NEWS] 'Linux is too much like Windows'

Mcleod, Ian ian.mcleod at eds.com
Mon Dec 30 13:27:00 CST 2002

couldn't agree more..

Anyone I try to suggest Linux to just say 'yeah - but if we have problems -
what to we get?  RTFM?  We're sticking with windows'

I don't blame them.

Selling Linux is a hard task.  The RTFM - 'you are an ignorant newbie if you
don't' attitude has done enormous damage to the image of Linux.  Technically
Linux is without reproach - we all know that - it's why I use it - but
customers won't touch it for fear of that dreaded response 'RTFM' - when
they need help in a hurry.

Until that changes - Linux will need more than just technical merit to take
off..

Sadly - the user-unfriendly philosophies have not changed at all in the last
5 years since I started using Linux.

I hope it does - before it's too late..