[NEWS] 'Linux is too much like Windows'

Mcleod, Ian ian.mcleod at eds.com
Mon Dec 30 13:20:42 CST 2002

RIGHT direction in my view - or Linux will always just be for die hard
enthusiasts and back end servers.

Customers are not 'ignorant children' as some of you so casually pointed
out.  Customers pay for a service - they deserve it.  And the easier that
service is to use - the better.

Linux is here for those of us that want more than something that 'just
works'.

Freedom of choice - competition - both Linux and Windows benefit from
imitating each other.  It's called Progress..

And if Microsoft just kept telling customers to RTFM - do you think it would
be so popular?  I maintain it is popular precisely for the reason that they
don't just tell customers to nick off and RTFM.

I use Linux out of choice whenever I can for my own reasons - people are not
'ignorant idiots' because they choose otherwise.

It's arrogant to assume people are.  Maybe they just have busy lives and
don't have time to stuff around with config scripts.  That does not suggest
they are 'ignorant children'.  Many members of the Linux community are the
ones who put that label on, who see it that way - not anyone else.

-----------------------------------

I wanted to get away from the
upgrade-your-system-so-you-can-use-the-latest-upgrade-of-your-OS-and-applica
tions
and the "we fix this in the current version" money-go-round.  But Linux
is joining the club!  WRONG direction, in my view.

--
Brian

--
LinuxSA WWW: http://www.linuxsa.org.au/ IRC: #linuxsa on