[NEWS] 'Linux is too much like Windows'

Christopher Yeoh cyeoh at samba.org
Mon Dec 30 12:42:01 CST 2002

At 2002/12/29 00:42-0800  James Leone writes:
> Ok fine that's out of context, :-D  but this isn't. I think that a group
> of major open source software projects (INCLUDING STALLMAN) should form
> a Standards Board to answer the following questions:
>
> 1. Where should configuration files go?
>
> 2. How should installations work
>
> 3. Pick a standard .Deb or RPM and stick with it
>
> 4. Pick a boot sequence standard and stick with it
>
> 5. Documentation standards
>
> 6. Ease of use standards
>
> 7. Justification for changing the command line systax of your applications
>
> 8. Development roadmaps
>
> 9. Elect a leader at large to give some direction
>
> That way when a company looks into porting their application they won't
> have to wonder if it will work in two years or require excessive
> maintenance.

Have a look at the Linux Standard Base (http://www.linuxbase.org)
project. It already covers most of what you ask for above and there
are a number of distributions certified to be compliant:

http://www.opengroup.org/lsb/cert/cert_prodlist.tpl?CALLER=index.tpl

Chris
cyeoh at au.ibm.com
IBM OzLabs Linux Development Group