[NEWS] 'Linux is too much like Windows'

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Sun Dec 29 13:46:23 CST 2002

On Sunday, 29 December 2002 at 12:34:44 +1030, Ian Loxton wrote:
> Just found this item. What do you think?
>
> -------------------------------->>
> Http://www.insanely-great.com/news.php?id=1431
>
> Rant: 'Linux is too much like Windows'
> By ron carlson, Insanely Great Mac
> December 22nd 2002
>
>  Once every other blue moon Dvorak says something intelligent
>
>  In a column titled "Microsoft, Innovation, and Linux", John
>  Dvorak opines that "Linux is too much like Windows." That
>  this is true is obvious and it's a matter of some wonder
>  that no one -- at least no one notable -- has publicly noted
>  this before.
> <<------------------------
>
> I think he and Dvorak have got it wrong but that is just my POV, what
> are your thoughts on the matter?

I think they're right, for a certain definition of "Linux".  What does
the average user see?  The screen.  And the applications that people
use are looking more and more like Microsoft: Gnome and KDE imitate
the Microsoft screen layout, OpenOffice and AbiWord repeat the
mistakes Microsoft made with its user interface approach.

These applications have their uses to attract people from the
Microsoft space.  But more and more Linux (and BSD) people are using
them, and that's not healthy.  You can't beat Microsoft at its own
game, but come with a different game and you might be able to.  The
real issue is, what would a desktop approach based on UNIX principles
look like?

At the last AUUG conference, I asked Rob Pike (of the Plan 9 project)
what he thought of the free UNIX operating systems.  He said he was
disappointed how little innovation they had shown.

Greg
--
Finger grog at lemis.com for PGP public key