udma

Master Gnome no_gnome at tpg.com.au
Sun Dec 29 01:38:05 CST 2002

hdparm  will not let you push the speed higher than the drive tells
hdparm it can do.

hdparm -i /dev/#drive# will tell information from the drive, if your
drive is 66MHz = udma4 / 100MHz = udma5 / 133MHz = udma6

Depending on your system you can set maximum DMA while configuring your
kernel.
- Under
	ATA/IDE/MFM/RLL support
	 IDE, ATA and ATAPI Block devices
	  Generic PCI bus-master DMA support = Yes
	  Use PCI DMA by default when available = Yes

and by compiling the kernel you would need to worry about adding extra
bits to your kernel at boot.

@@ WARNING @@
If you have flakey/cheap hardware there is a very small possibility of
data or hardware damage, plus you should get someone to show you how to
compile the kernel or do a lot of reading before hand.

Once you have learnt to customize the kernel, you have come one big step
closer to becomimg a linux hacker.

By the way if you PCI bus is 32bit it should set to 33MHz if 64bit set
at 66MHz.