SuSE Linux 8.1 APT/Wine & Printing/Yahoo Instant Messenger/Siga

Brian Marr cabernet at internode.on.net
Sat Dec 28 11:16:16 CST 2002

On Saturday 28 December 2002 09:20, James Leone wrote:
> Just a bit of a heads up for all the "bleeding edge" desktop Linux
> network administrators that may upgrade the latest Christmas toys &
> eyecandy to their staff....
>
> This is SuSE Linux 8.1 Professional, but is probably not isolated toSuSE
> Linux 8.1 Professional.
>
>     * It appears that Codeweavers Cross Over Office 1.3.1 works best
>       with CUPS. I tried LPRNG on one machine to see how it bled and it
>       would not print Microsoft Office or Excel. However, this did make
>       an excellent segway for using Open Office.
>     * I couldn't resolve a dependency libcrypto.so.0 for Yahoo Instant
>       Messenger, although I did follow the symbolic link instructions
>       provided at Yahoo.com. I would give my eye candy addicts the java
>       version, except that I don't know how to make something to click
>       on for the icon lovers here.
>
> Of more use: APT for SuSE.
>
> Note that I found that the larger the list of packages to install, the
> more I favored using the CD's because I knew how to pick more than one
> package at a time. As a result, it was a lot faster for me to use it.

This is where synaptic excels....you can pick and choose.

> 1. Synaptic is far too buggy for practical use, it crashes often.
>
> 2. The SuSE apt repository had a few dependency differences then what my
> system reported and it also used different build numbers. So, for the
> short time I had used Synaptic it listed almost all of my packages
> available for upgrade, but in reality the only difference was the build
> number. It made the list ineffective.

It is working well here on both Suse 8.0 (version 0.24) and 8.1 (version
0.26). Apt4rpm should be installed on a relatively new Operating System
Install. This way it does not have to contend with software installed using
tar.gz or rpm's installed using --force-nodeps. On a clean system it is
excellent  and synaptic complements it very well.

> Siga - This is a nice little application found in SuSE 8 & 8.1 and maybe
> more. As root, simply type siga at the command prompt. Siga will display
> more than everything you ever wanted to know about your computer's
> hardware and Linux software. It will produce a text file and HTML file
> in /tmp.  You can copy this file over to your hme directories and change
> owners to the local user.
>
> LyX will import the text file, and if you print it, it will look like it
> was professionally typeset.

Tried siga - I like : )

Brian Marr