SuSE Linux 8.1 APT/Wine & Printing/Yahoo Instant Messenger/Siga

James Leone LINUXCPA at netscape.net
Sat Dec 28 10:35:13 CST 2002

Just a bit of a heads up for all the "bleeding edge" desktop Linux
network administrators that may upgrade the latest Christmas toys &
eyecandy to their staff....

This is SuSE Linux 8.1 Professional, but is probably not isolated toSuSE
Linux 8.1 Professional.

    * It appears that Codeweavers Cross Over Office 1.3.1 works best
      with CUPS. I tried LPRNG on one machine to see how it bled and it
      would not print Microsoft Office or Excel. However, this did make
      an excellent segway for using Open Office.
    * I couldn't resolve a dependency libcrypto.so.0 for Yahoo Instant
      Messenger, although I did follow the symbolic link instructions
      provided at Yahoo.com. I would give my eye candy addicts the java
      version, except that I don't know how to make something to click
      on for the icon lovers here.

Of more use: APT for SuSE.

Note that I found that the larger the list of packages to install, the
more I favored using the CD's because I knew how to pick more than one
package at a time. As a result, it was a lot faster for me to use it.
However, the Lindows Click and run is much faster than CD's.

Quite nice to have if you forgot your CD's at home, but you need to
switch printing systems from LPRNG to Cups.

Easy to install, but the instructions on the "SuSE Linux Apt how to"
page just doesn't get to the point. Way too confusing for how easy  it
really is. All they need to do is simply get to the point and list the
steps required to use apt.

Here is the page:

> http://linux01.gwdg.de/apt4rpm/

Getting to the point:

1. Install the apt RPM from --------> http://linux01.gwdg.de/apt4rpm/
2. If you are using SuSE 8.1, you have to change /ect/apt/sources.list.
I did this with a floppy. I mounted it, opened up a shell and typed su
and provided my root passord. I then copied the file:  cp
/media/floppy/sources.list /etc/apt

The sources.list file will need to read as follows:

#
# Repository created by: aptate (version 059cvs021214)
# At: Mon Dez 23 19:43:22 MET 2002
# More info about aptate at: http://apt4rpm.sourceforge.net
#
rpm      ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/suse/apt SuSE/8.1-i386   base
update-prpm update kde gnome2 sax2 mozilla ximian extra usr-local-bin
suser-suserpm suser-tcousin funktronics packman-i386 packman-i586
packman-i686 packman-noarch mantel-kernel wine suse-people security-prpm
security
rpm-src  ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/suse/apt SuSE/8.1-i386   base
update-prpm update kde gnome2 sax2 mozilla ximian extra usr-local-bin
suser-suserpm suser-tcousin funktronics packman-i386 packman-i586
packman-i686 packman-noarch mantel-kernel wine suse-people security-prpm
security

3. Type apt-get update
4. Then type apt-get install insert-name-of-package-you-want-to-install-here

You're golden.

Problems:

1. Synaptic is far too buggy for practical use, it crashes often.

2. The SuSE apt repository had a few dependency differences then what my
system reported and it also used different build numbers. So, for the
short time I had used Synaptic it listed almost all of my packages
available for upgrade, but in reality the only difference was the build
number. It made the list ineffective.

3. I had a list of applications printed out from my master system. I
used it as a basis for deployment. In an office that has a conglomerate
of hardware, ergo no ghosting here, it made life easier to have the list
when using apt.

However, there are several barriers to apt's practical use for new users:

    You have to:

        a) Know what packages you need to accomplish your goal. Linux
application names are strange to                 newbies.
        b) Spell the package the exact way it is in the repository
        c) Look past the unfamiliar command line syntax. ---> apt-get
install apt    <----( :-)  A recursive command)

On that note, Lindows Click and Run resolves these issues, it is far
superior in my *opinion.

*secretly hopes someone will want to surpass Lindows' Click and Run
Client. Any Lord of the Rings style dwarves on Linuxsa? :-D

Siga - This is a nice little application found in SuSE 8 & 8.1 and maybe
more. As root, simply type siga at the command prompt. Siga will display
more than everything you ever wanted to know about your computer's
hardware and Linux software. It will produce a text file and HTML file
in /tmp.  You can copy this file over to your hme directories and change
owners to the local user.

LyX will import the text file, and if you print it, it will look like it
was professionally typeset.

Hope this is interesting or helpful.

James Leone