Microsoft, Innovation, and Linux - is Linux too Windows like?

Peter Gossner gossner at arcom.com.au
Thu Dec 26 07:58:11 CST 2002

On Thu, 26 Dec 2002 06:01:13 +1030 (CST)
Dan Shearer <dan at tellurian.com.au> scribed:

> On Thu, 26 Dec 2002, Peter Gossner wrote:
>
> > SUN have made strong contributions to Gnome.
> > (they have a few chaps in Ireland working on it pretty
> > much fulltime.)(credit where credit is due)
>
> I think "a few chaps in Ireland" is actually a
> three-figure number.
LOL yes quite right...
and not all chaps either.

They have made great strides in improving the docs etc and
the usability issues.(while not dominating the project).
My main bitch would have to be a clear path for adding user
land docs ... It's still not clear. though it's getting
there, and I haven't tried lately . :)

I have never been a fan of "desktop environments" but gnome
is now easily the simplest and clearest to use. While still
be open ended. It also has addressed  speed /resource
issues etc. Even gconf seems like a good idea now
:)"Naughtylis" is now quick and stable..and has a cool open
look and feel  about it.

The "new" project structure has paid off well.
While it's not my default it is for every body else in my
family. (ages 10 - 48)

--
<gossner at arcom.com.au>
<http://arcom.com.au/~gossner/>