Microsoft, Innovation, and Linux - is Linux too Windows like?

Richard Sharpe rsharpe at richardsharpe.com
Tue Dec 24 18:31:29 CST 2002

On Tue, 24 Dec 2002, Ant wrote:

> > On Tue, 2002-12-24 at 09:44, Mcleod, Ian wrote:
> > > (let the FLAMES ROLL!!)
> >
> > no flames, as you said the same thing as me.
> > Ie. that for the price you can't beat x86 stuff
> > (it's just in a technical sense the x86 arch sucks)

Well, it seems that is some markets you can beat x86, becuase there is an
effective monopoly on x86, while there are some 100+ licencees of the MIPS
architecture.

So, reasonable speed MIPS processors are selling for $10 in quantity, and
even the Sybyte dual-MIPS 4000 is selling for a reasonable price, which is
often less than a 1.6GHz P4, from what I understand.

Regards
-----