Microsoft, Innovation, and Linux - is Linux too Windows like?

Ant fineales at ozemail.com.au
Tue Dec 24 17:34:59 CST 2002

> On Tue, 2002-12-24 at 09:44, Mcleod, Ian wrote:
> > (let the FLAMES ROLL!!)
>
> no flames, as you said the same thing as me.
> Ie. that for the price you can't beat x86 stuff
> (it's just in a technical sense the x86 arch sucks)

Yeah, I dont know why they dont extend it more than they have. For example, AFAIK x86 architecture has 4 general purpose registers - eax, ebx, ecx and edx. Thats pretty crappy. Motorola has more (8 or something? cant remember) and Ive been working on an embedded processor application on an 8 bit atmel at90s8535 processor that you can get from dick smiths for $20, and it has 32 general purpose registers! That can save a lot of data shuffling when your doing serious number crunching. Sure the x86 wins hands down in the mhz/ghz arena, but if they had 32 registeres, and remained backwards compatable, and kept the high ghz speeds, they'd be heaps faster! They could add some new IRQs as well, rather than this irq shareing stuff, which has code overhead. Although that'd require a new bus to be released.

Ant