Red Hat / Mandrake doomed?

Mcleod, Ian ian.mcleod at eds.com
Mon Dec 23 11:08:55 CST 2002

They did this some time back - letting go of the education division "that
the last management invested in" - Mandrake is always asking for money - but
they produce excellent software and services - have *very* strong community
support - especially home desktop users (traditionally a hard nut to crack
for *nix systems) - I don't know why they are struggling so much.

But I did email them 6 months ago and every 2 weeks since then on how I can
use Amex or a local supplier to join their club - I still have not received
a reply from Mandrake - so if people are throwing money at them and they
never get around to grabbing it - maybe that has something to do with it :-)

What are RH subscription services like for home / desktop use?