Mandrake in critical condition ----> Continued

James Leone linuxcpa at netscape.net
Sat Dec 21 07:25:26 CST 2002

James Leone wrote:

> Despite being ranked the favorite distribution in the Linux Journal
> Reader's choice awards...
>
>> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=6245
>

> I received this in my email today directly from Mandrakesoft:
>
>> Despite the many financial challenges of maintaining a fully open source
>> business model, MandrakeSoft has always followed the Free Software
>> approach,
>> but in this normally joyful holiday season we are experiencing a serious
>> short-term cash crisis.
>>

> This troubles me.
>
> Right now Mandrake is asking for financial help, and I hope that they
> receive it.
>
> I am concerned that their request for help might leave the general
> public with some general confusion that may dampen their effort to
> raise funds.
>
> Some people will hold that because Mandrakesoft is legally organized
> as a business, and not a public charity, that this is a bad
> investment, and not see it for what it is: a request for donations.
>
> That being said, I feel very stronly that Mandrake should follow
> Debian's lead and organize as a not-for-profit public charity.

> I have also read recent reports that Red Hat has turned a profit this
> quarter.
>
> But I have also noticed that a Robert Young has been selling his Red
> Hat shares in a spurt that started on 8-29
>
> http://www.sec.gov/cgi-bin/browse-edgar?company=Red+Hat&CIK=&State=&SIC=&action=getcompany
>

> I will continue, I have to go to a clients...

Ok, I am back.

Now the suprt of stock sales may be just a coincidence.

Anyway, here are the results from last quarter...

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1087423/000095016802002954/d10q.htm

It appears that they lost 1,951,000, last quarter, so this report looks
doable:

http://news.com.com/2100-1001-978248.html?tag=fd_top

One nore of Red Hat's financial statement notes was interesting:

> NOTE 6—Discontinued Operations
> During January 2002, the Company adopted a formal plan to discontinue
> its network consulting operations. Accordingly, the network consulting
> operations were accounted for as a discontinued operation beginning
> with the fiscal year 2000 consolidated financial statements. The
> Company completed the disposal of the network consulting operations in
> February 2002 through termination of associated employees. Loss on
> disposal of discontinued operations of $10.3 million in fiscal year
> 2002 included the write-off of goodwill recorded in the acquisition of
> ENS of $9.6 million, severance and related costs of $0.4 million, and
> a provision against accounts receivable of $0.3 million. An additional
> provision against accounts receivable of $261,000 was recorded during
> the three months ended May 31, 2002. Network consulting revenues were
> $2.2 million and $6.4 million during the three and six months ended
> August 31, 2001, respectively.

> James Leone

Ditto