[OT) Elections - Was almost anything

Pigeon jah.pigeon at ukonline.co.uk
Fri Dec 20 01:57:07 CST 2002

On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 09:38:07AM +1030, Brian Astill wrote:
> Pigeon wrote
>
> Saphologists?? What/who are they? A new protocol or a plant of some kind?
>
> >Those who study lesbianism, perhaps?
> >
> No - that would be a lesbiologist :-)

> >I'll have to think about this, must admit I don't quite understand
> >what's supposed to happen.
> >
> >Pigeon
> >

> Then who is it who's nuts?   :-)

Well, what else do you call someone who thinks it's a good wheeze to
ignite a hundred litres of a stoichiometric mixture of oxygen and
acetylene, and allows pigeons to nest on his bed?

> Imagine each of the five original electorates would elect one Labour
> member with 51% of the vote.  Labour would "win" 5 seats.
>
> Now amalgamate the electorates.  51% will now only guarantee 2 seats,
> but on a preferential system would probably "win" 3.  The remaining
> seats would be allocated to the next most popular candidates - perhaps
> one Conservative and one Independent.
> Thus whereas before those who voted Conservative or Independent would
> not have their preference recognised, they would now.
> The overall result would almost certainly be that no one party had more
> than 50% of the seats in parliament, but maybe that's not a bad idea.

Oh, right, I get it. How to do proportional representation but still
make sure everyone's MP is reasonably local. I think you'd have to do
something a bit more complicated than simply amalgamating existing
electorates, but it seems like a reasonable idea.

Looking at Thatcher and Blair, I'm quite in favour of no one party
having an overall majority!

Pigeon