Python, Perl and Tcl

Aplin, Shane P Shane.P.Aplin at team.telstra.com
Thu Dec 19 18:04:34 CST 2002

Hey David,

Firstly, let me say that I do not program with Python or Perl...but I've recently been doing a bit of research into them, as I also want to learn how to build GUI interfaces for Linux.

The best article that I've found discussing Python vs. Perl (by Eric Raymond) can be found here:  http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=3882

I'm also interested in portability of programs...I've read great things about wxWindows (and the Python extensions for it - called wxPython).  Your friend may want to check it out.

Apparently wxPython (and I understand, there's a wxPerl as well) use the native GTK+, Windows or Mac widgets when compiled for each of these platforms.  So the GUIs look and feel natural to the end-users.

I've just tinkered with wxWindows at this stage, but it looks pretty comprehensive, and it seems to have a pretty active community.  Check out http://wxwindows.org/ and http://wxpython.org/index.php for more info.

Hope this helps.  Cheers!

Shane.