google

George Patterson george at visp.com.au
Thu Dec 19 16:28:16 CST 2002

On Thu, 19 Dec 2002 12:36:46 +1030
Michael Gratton <mike at vee.net> wrote:

> David Rowlands wrote:
> > Someone a while back was commenting how some countries have their
> > own version of google, while .au doesn't. I just got redirected to
> > www.google.com.au with an Australian logo.
>
> I wonder if this is a precursor to Google bowing to governmental
> pressure, a'la google.fr.
>
> :(

Micheal,

More like making the searches more relevant if you are
looking for local (eg australian) content. Search engines have been
doing this for years... for example yahoo.com.au (redirects to
au.yahoo.com).

Possibly also for language translations... There is a link labelled
"Google.com" which directs you to something like www.google.com/en which
get you back to the main site. The preference appears to be sticky.

I believe Excite also had an aussie mirror at excite.com.au but can't
confirm it at the moment (403 Forbidden on the index.page).

Regards

George Patterson