Satellite

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Thu Dec 19 12:28:04 CST 2002

On Thursday, 19 December 2002 at  9:18:26 +1030, Gibb, Bradley (EDS) wrote:
> On  Wednesday, 18 December 2002 8:26 PM, Steve Sloan wrote:
>>
>> Just wondering if anyone has a Satellite connection to the net running
>> into a Linux box.
>> I have a client that can't get ADSL (too far from the exchange) and we
>> are looking at Satellite as an alternative.
>> After looking a Big Pond's website it appears they only support Windows.
>> They have a note saying they DON'T support Linux and also don't support
>> a solutions that allows you to plug it into a hub.
>> Internode tell me they don't do Satellite, is there any other way of
>> doing this and getting it to work with a Linux box. ie. what I really
>> want is something like the DSL-300 that just plugs in the Ethernet card
>> on the PC.
>
> I have used the IHug satellite option. Again, this was a 56K modem
> back channel. The card that the satellite dish plugged into was just
> like a LAN card and acted as an device that could be brought up and
> down with an ifup and ifdown command. (It has been a while, so I
> can't remember the actual card name.)

Telemann SM200

> The people at IHug also unofficially had support and drivers for
> Linux, if you spoke to the right people. You just have to make sure
> that you get the satellite frequencies right or you would have hours
> of pulling your hair out. :-)

The drivers are a bit of a mess, but the main issue is the
instructions.  I've done a fair amount of work both on the code and on
the instructions; I'm attaching the latter to give you an idea of
what's involved.

The drivers are delivered partially in binary form, which is why I'm
running them with Linux rather than FreeBSD.  I find that after about
two months, the machine wedges.  I suspect that this is the old
version of Linux I'm running (RH 7.0), not the driver: there's a
memory leak somewhere.  Apart from that, though, the service works
well, and I often get more than the advertised bandwidth.  I have a
nominal 400 kb/s downlink, but I've had up to 1.2 Mb/s occasionally.

Greg
--
Finger grog at lemis.com for PGP public key
-------------- next part --------------

This distribution and instructions significantly modified by Greg
Lehey, LEMIS, <grog at lemis.com>.  The following is an adaptation of the
instructions to a simpler and more reliable method.

This is Linux software of SkyMedia-200D.
(Product No : SM200D, SM200DTP, SM200DPA)

This version is modified to support new Skymedia-200D product - SM200DTP,
SM200DPA - as well as SM200D.

Some of this software is provided in source form in order to be able
to adapt it to your configuration.

System requirements are as follows:
1. Pentium 133Mhz or higher
2. 32Mbyte of system memory or more
3. 3Mbyte of free space on hard drive
4. Linux 2.4 kernel.  It is possible that the code will work with a
   2.2 kernel, but this has not been tested.
5. SkyMedia-200D card

INSTALLATION

To install Linux S/W for Skymedia-200D,

1. Download the file 'sm200d.tar.gz' into the build directory.  We
   suggest /usr/src/skydata, but the name doesn't really make any
   difference.

2. Extract the data:

     # tar xzvf sm200d.tar.gz

   This will create a new directory called driver.

3. Change to the new directory:

     # cd driver

4. (Optional step.  If you don't understand, don't worry.  You
   probably never need to do this, but the information is supplied for
   people who want to know).

   If necessary, check the Makefiles.  By default, the following
   software will be installed:

   File		 Purpose		Location

   sm200d	 start and monitor	/usr/local/bin
   SkyUpgrade	 undocumented		/usr/local/bin
   sm200	 start script		/usr/local/bin
   R98.sm200	 system init script	/etc/rc3.d
   config	 configuration file	/etc/sysconfig/sm200
   sm200	 driver module		/lib/modules/<kernel>

   <kernel> is the release number of the kernel.  For example, if you
   are running kernel 2.4.9, the module will be installed in the
   directory /lib/modules/2.4.9, which is where the system will look
   for it.

   If you want, change the names in sys/Makefile for the driver
   module, and usr/Makefile for the others.

5. Check also that you have a Linux source tree at /usr/src/linux; the
   driver requires header files in this tree.

6. Type 'make install'.  The software will be built and installed.

7. Configure the file /etc/sysconfig/sm200/config with the values
   given to you by your service provider.

   To load the driver and start the card, run the script
   /usr/local/bin/sm200.  Normally, if you have /usr/local/bin in your
   PATH, you can do this with just

     # sm200

   The module will be started automatically at boot time.

   The startup scripts assign a dummy address to the card; the driver
   does not use this address, but you should avoid having it conflict
   with any other interface in the system.

Running sm200d
--------------

The main interface program is sm200d.  It performs two functions:

1.  It initializes the connection by reading in the configuration file
    (by default /etc/sysconfig/sm200/config) and setting the card
    accordingly.  Perform this function like this:

      # sm200d -i

    If you want to use a different configuration file, just specify
    its name:

      # sm200d -i /var/tmp/testconfig

2.  It displays the current state of the card and an indication of the
    signal strength.  Run it like this:

      # sm200d -s

    In this mode, the program displays a status line every five
    seconds:

       Wed Oct 17 13:24:49 2001        Running AGC:  203

    The text "Running" shows that the card is correctly set up and is
    receiving a signal.  The AGC value 203 indicates the signal
    strength.  Higher values indicate a stronger signal.  Typical
    values range from 180 to 210, though values as low as 150 may be
    acceptable.

    To stop sm200d in this mode, press ^C.

Differences between sm200d and SkyData
--------------------------------------

The original program was called SkyData.  It performed both functions
in sequence.  It also required a file name.  Apart from that, and some
minor format differences, the function is the same.  Note that sm200d
requires either or both of the -i and -s flags.

TROUBLESHOOTING

Q: The software does not compile cleanly.
A: Check if you have kernel source correctly installed.  This source
   has only been tested with Linux kernel 2.4.9, and it may not
   compile with a non-2.4 kernel.  Make sure that your kernel source
   is located in or linked to /usr/src/linux directory.

Q: When trying to load the driver, I get the following message:

     # sm200
     sm200: kernel-module version mismatch
             sm200 was compiled for kernel version 2.4.0-0.26
	     while this kernel is version 2.4.9.
A: Your Linux userland has a different version from the kernel, and
   you have included the userland header files.  This was a problem
   with the original version of this driver from Telemann, but should
   no longer occur.  Please check that you have the header file
   directories /usr/src/linux/include/linux and
   /usr/src/linux/include/asm.  Contact Greg Lehey <grog at lemis.com> if
   you have these directories and you get this problem anyway.

Q: I have installed the driver successfully but I cannot receive
   internet data via satellite.

A: Check:

    1) The card LEDs
       In normal operation, the green LED is on and the yellow LED
       flashes when data is received.

    2) The driver status
       After the driver is loaded, you should find an interface
       'sm200d':

	    sm200d    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:90:BC:01:4D:B0
	              inet addr:10.0.0.1  Bcast:10.255.255.255  Mask:255.0.0.0
	              collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
	              Interrupt:10 Base address:0x1000

       Check that the second line (inet addr) is set; otherwise you
       should assign an IP address.  This should happen automatically
       with the startup script, but it will not happen if you just
       load the driver manually.

    3) The signal status
       Check if the satellite configuration is correct:

         # sm200d -i
	 SkyData V.2.02 started. (C) 1999 Diego Picciani
	 E-Mail: d.picciani at novacomp.it
	 Skymedia Product No.:      SM200DPA
	 Skymedia Firmware Version: 1.02
	 Skymedia Driver Version:   2.01
	 Frequency:                 12560.137 Mhz
	 Symbol Rate:               17.981 MSym/s
	 Local Oscillator:          11300.000 Mhz
	 Alignment:                 Horizontal
	 LNB Mode:                  High
	 LNB Power:                 On
	 Tone Burst:                Off
	 Diseqc Port:               Off
	 Start Tuning ...
	   (there is a significant pause here)
	 Tuner Lock:                Ok
	 QPSK Lock:                 Ok
	 Viterbi Lock:              Ok
	 Frame Lock:                Ok
	 FEC Rate:                  7/8
	 AGC Value:                 205
	 Error 1:                   0
	 Error 2:                   0
	 MAC Address:               00:90:bc:01:4d:b0
	 IP Address:                10.0.0.1
	 Filtering:                 IP Address
	 Data PID:                  0092 Multiprotocol Encapsulation

    4) PID settings
       Check if the correct PIDs are set.

    5) The network configuration. (especially for Debian package)
       - type 'cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/sm200d/rp_filter'.
       If it has the value other than '0', change it to 0.
       - type 'echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/sm200d/rp_filter'

$Id: README,v 1.2 2001/10/17 03:57:30 grog Exp grog $