Guns [was Re: OT Re: Aussie bom weather sat images]

Richard Sharpe rsharpe at richardsharpe.com
Wed Dec 18 17:58:50 CST 2002

On Wed, 18 Dec 2002, Robert Thorsby wrote:

> On 2002.12.18 16:52 Glen Turner wrote:
> > I particularly like the idea that the next female heir
> > will see the UK and Australia with differing heads of
> > state (assuming the UK does away with the Salic Law,
> > as seems likely).
> >
> > Unless of course, the Monarchists can get our Consitution
> > changed.
>
> I'm afraid I don't understand what you are getting at.
>
> I thought that the Royal Succession was governed by the Act of
> Settlement which was passed in (from memory) 1701 when it became highly
> likely that Queen Anne would die childless.
>
> AFAIK, the Act of Settlement is law in ALL parts of the Realm.
>
> In fact, any attempt by the Mother of Parliaments to amend unilaterally
> the Act of Settlement could have severe consequences on the Dominions
> -- sort of like amending a base library during a kernel compile :-)

Indeed, and any appeal to Salic law, which only had tenuous relevance to
England and GB, was no longer possible after Victoria.

And that has never been an issue for Australia. AFAIK, the reigning
monarch is the monarch of Australia.

I could perhaps understand if reference was made to England and Hanover,
but not the UK and Australia.

Regards
-----