Guns [was Re: OT Re: Aussie bom weather sat images]

Robert Thorsby robert at thorsby.com.au
Wed Dec 18 17:51:46 CST 2002

On 2002.12.18 16:52 Glen Turner wrote:
> I particularly like the idea that the next female heir
> will see the UK and Australia with differing heads of
> state (assuming the UK does away with the Salic Law,
> as seems likely).
>
> Unless of course, the Monarchists can get our Consitution
> changed.

I'm afraid I don't understand what you are getting at.

I thought that the Royal Succession was governed by the Act of
Settlement which was passed in (from memory) 1701 when it became highly
likely that Queen Anne would die childless.

AFAIK, the Act of Settlement is law in ALL parts of the Realm.

In fact, any attempt by the Mother of Parliaments to amend unilaterally
the Act of Settlement could have severe consequences on the Dominions
-- sort of like amending a base library during a kernel compile :-)

Robert Thorsby