Port 888 ?

Andrew Galdes AGaldes at elders.com.au
Mon Dec 16 15:39:34 CST 2002

Can anyone tell me what might run on port 888.

Last night while playing around with my firewall (iptables), i noticed that
port 888 was open while i was nmapping my own computer. Moments later I
checked again and it was no longer there.

/etc/services doesn't suggest anything for that port. I have searched goggle
for it and found some proxy which works on it but not allot more.

I configured iptables to log everything happening on port 888 (in and out)
and it didn't see anything (probably because nothing was moving to or from
it although it might have been open).

Any ideas?

AG.