Samba Cups recent foray

Brian Marr cabernet at internode.on.net
Mon Dec 16 09:26:47 CST 2002

Suse 8.0 Cups 1.1.5 Samba with Printer connected to Networked box.

Many will be familiar with the cups web interface (http://localhost:631) for
setting up and monitoring printers. Amongst other things the configuration
process offers Samba as one of the print queues. To use this we are asked to
select the "smb://workgroup/server/sharename" address when configuring a
printer.
I could never get this to work despite a lot of reading on Google and hacking
the Samba script.
Others may be interest to know that this format made all the difference.
"smb://user:pass@workgroup/server/sharename" ..........where sharename is the
print queue you want to use.
Cups 1.1.5 does not offer this as a choice. You just type it in and when saved
it will appear in /etc/cups/printers.conf. It does not appear in the printer
page of http://localhost:631. And if you go back to your printer
configuration you get the default Samba queue again. It appears to have
vanished.
But as long as it appears in /etc/cups/printers.conf you should be ok.
Naturally you need to have some parameters set in smb.conf as well. Most
distros have cups settings in this file and it is a matter of using those and
commenting out the lpr references.

Brian Marr