Linux and NTFS

Adam Smith adam.smith at sageautomation.com
Thu Dec 12 17:16:15 CST 2002

> It really all depends on what you are using the machine for.
> This will lead you to a conclusion as to what your filesystem
> layout will be.

True.  Typically NTFS is much slower than FAT32, and is usually only
ever required in a corporate or insecure environment.  A normal home
computer does not typically *need* NTFS.

Add the following considerations to your partition layout:

A)  NTFS read/write is slower than FAT32 anyway.
B)  Writing to NTFS under Linux is considered dangerous, writing to
FAT32 is not.
C)  If you have oodles of disk space, swap might be a good idea if you
ever decide to increase the load on your server, however if you plan on
doing that, you'll probably want to add additional RAM if you're using
excessive amounts.

Personally, I run a combination of Windows 98 [because my really old
games like Commander Keen just DON'T run under Windows XP!], Windows XP
and FreeBSD.  Windows 98 can't read NTFS, so I don't bother running it
at all.  That way, any of my three operating systems can write to any
partition I let them.

Adam