Why no BSD?

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Thu Dec 12 11:26:38 CST 2002

On Wednesday, 11 December 2002 at 13:12:55 -0600, bptimm at uwm.edu wrote:
> I've been subscribed to this list for quite a while now, and one
> thing I have found particularly lacking is discussion of BSD.  I
> have experimented with many flavors of Linux (RedHat, Mandrake,
> Debian, Slackware), and yet I always to back to FreeBSD.  Yeah,
> yeah...I know it's technically Unix, but it runs all the same
> software and generally adheres to the same stuctures (Of all the
> fixes I've found on this list, I've rarely seen one that couldn't be
> repeated on FreeBSD).

Under the skin, BSD is *very* different from Linux.  Take a look at
http://echunga.lemis.com/slides/Installfest-2002.pdf for an example.

> FreeBSD is hands-down faster than any other distribution I've used,

We don't call it a "distribution".  It's just FreeBSD.

> and it is also the only one that doesn't refuse to recognize my
> mouse (RedHat / Mandrake mysteriously can't find my mouse on first
> boot, even though it works fine during graphical install).  Just
> thought I'd put my two cents in.  Comments are welcome.  Cheers.

Well, others have already pointed out that this is a Linux list, and
FreeBSD is not Linux.  Others have also pointed out that there are
other lists as well.  Locally, that's BUGA (BSD User Group of
Adelaide).  You can still join that by mailing to majordomo at lemis.com
with the text "subscribe buga", though I'm planning to change to
mailman Real Soon Now.

Looking at your mail address and time zone, it's not clear why you
want to be on a South Australian list, though I'm sure nobody objects.
Otherwise the global lists seem more appropriate.  Start at
http://www.freebsd.org/support.html#mailing-list and
http://www.freebsd.org/support.html#user

Greg
--