Software based Router - PC Specs

Michael Gratton mike at vee.net
Wed Dec 11 16:49:47 CST 2002

Freeman, Peter (ERHS) wrote:

> Is anyone aware of benchmark figures for hardware indicating the throughput
> one could
> expect from different types of hardware running as a dedicated router?

No hard figures, but I've seen a PentiumPro 133 (or there-abouts) act as
the router for a 2Mb connection, serving a LAN of 30-ish workstations,
and 10-ish servers hosting a similar number of busy, publically
accessable websites. The machine was running Apache mod_proxy which
proxied all traffic for those websites. The machine was running both 2.0
and 2.2 kernel versions and was set up with the appropriate kernel's
firewall-du-jour.

Latter on (when running 2.2.x) it was also doing NAT for the
workstations, and was upgraded to something like a 400Mhz processor.

Sorry for the vaugeness, but it's been some time. Hopefully you should
get some idea of the order of magnitude, though.

/mike

--
Mike Gratton <jabber:mjg at jabber.vee.net> <http://web.vee.net/>