Software based Router - PC Specs

Freeman, Peter (ERHS) Freeman.Peter at saugov.sa.gov.au
Wed Dec 11 16:06:27 CST 2002

Hi all

Just had a bit of a discussion with a counterpart involving routers.

As I've had no prior experience with running a PC as a dedicated router
(side from dialup servers on small networks), and all our larger networks
are WANned with Cisco routers I didn't really have an answer for him.

Basically the discussion revolved around the kind of PC hardware you'd need
to run a dedicated Linux-based router for a small-medium sized LAN (100-200
PCs).
For arguments sake we'll say that the WAN connection is a 256k frame. This
would be a reasonably common LAN configuration in our environment.

Is anyone aware of benchmark figures for hardware indicating the throughput
one could
expect from different types of hardware running as a dedicated router?

Any comments from real world scenarios that people have out there?

TIA